Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Heavy Industrial Quality Hooks for Your Garage, Workshop and Home for Next to Nothing 08 09 2010


Heavy Industrial Quality Hooks for Your Garage, Workshop and Home for Next to Nothing 08 09 2010


How many times have you found the utility wall mounted hooks you buy at the hardware stores inadequate? Sometimes they are mad out of white metal and at inopportune times they unsafely break off.

Here is the solution I found to make my own. I use cold rolled ¼” by 1” or 1 ¼” steel strips and bend them into strong hooks that readily hold an extension cord, rope, tools, etc..

To make them I drill a hole one inch from the end of the strip metal and another about an inch from that to serve as a fixing hole to keep the hook from turning. I use a ¼” or 5/16” diameter lag screws and choose a cobalt drill bit large enough so that the lag screw threads and non-threaded base, the thicker part before the hex head pass through easy. Length is about 1 ¼” or 1 ½”.

Follow the directions of your metal bender.

After the hooks are bent, cut the end with a reciprocating saw with a cobalt 14 tooth blade. Prime and paint and mount where they will be handy.

Be safe when using your bender, make sure that it is securely fixed in place, and wear leather gloves and a face guard when bending as these types of operations tend to jerks and snaps in arm pressure that can be dangerous, as there is a lot of force required to bend.

You will have learned a core blacksmithing skill, something that is becoming a lost art that you will enjoy. And you will have created a product unlike any other on the market shelves at your hardware store.



God Bless Those Who Think

Thomas Paul Murphy

Copyright 2010 Thomas Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my Blogs. My name is Thomas Murphy and I love the forest and wildlife areas of Wisconsin and would like to share my thoughts and the pictures I have taken of the natural areas of Wisconsin. Come share in my collection of what I feel to some of the finest scenes and images of the forests, lakes, rivers and marshes that Wisconsin has to offer. I like to go to pristine and secluded areas where nature resides quietly and I feel the resulting “lost” images are profoundly unique. I am usually “in the moment” when I take these pictures. When I say in the moment I mean a sense of excitement often precedes what my eye captures through the camera. I never stage these shots but seem to be in the right place and time when I shoot them. And when I transfer them from my camera and view them on my computer screen I realize a sense of surrealism that resonates with me yet again to the time they were taken and exemplify the beauty of nature. Please peruse my sites and experience the beauty of being there as I did. WWW.ThomasMurphy.lifepics.com